Gone are the days that protein powders are only used by guys that spend all day at the gym pumping iron and wearing singlets that only just cover their nipples. Seriously the poor excuse for a singlet confuses me... why are you wearing that piece of cloth? Is that even considered clothing? Please go buy a new top, I'll give you some money for the love of god.
Ok, focus. So where was I... Protein! As many of us know, protein is crucial for many bodily functions, not only for building lean muscle. Yes, don't get me wrong, it's super important to make sure we consume protein after a workout however, it's also important that we have a balance of all the macro nutrients including protein at each meal whether we've worked out or not. Protein also helps us to feel satiated (full) so excess snacking and overeating is less likely to occur! So what better way to start your day than with some protein oats, as I've gone on and on and on about... I have a deep love for oats. The great thing about this recipe is that you can flavour it however you like depending on what protein powder you have! At the moment I've been having strawberry milkshake (strawberry protein powder, vanilla extract and almond milk), cinnamon vanilla (vanilla protein, ground cinnamon) and mocha (chocolate protein powder, shot of coffee). Get creative, I'd love to see some different variations!
HIGH PROTEIN OATS
PREP TIME: 1m | COOK TIME: 5m | TOTAL TIME: 6m
SERVES: 1 PERSON
1/2 cup rolled oats (add more or less to your liking, this is just how much I eat!), soaked in water over night
1 scoop Maxine's Burn protein powder
1/4 cup water
- Optional Toppings: cinnamon, shot of coffee, nuts or seeds, granola, fresh fruit, honey etc
- Pour the soaked oats into a microwaveable safe dish, and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, then another 2 minutes adding water as you go until you reach your desired consistency
- Meanwhile, using a protein shaker, shake the protein and water until it is well combined without any lumps (if adding cinnamon or coffee, add this to the shaker!)
- Once oats are cooked to your liking transfer to a bowl, pour the protein mixture over the oats and mix well (add any toppings you like)
- Serve immediately!
- It's important that the protein mixture isn't cooked in the microwave as most protein powders react badly to heat, so make sure the oats are cooked to your liking before you add the protein!