You know those days/weeks/months where everything seems to go a little bit sideways when only the other day everything was smooth sailing? Yeah that’s been my life. Sometimes you can handle it, like water off a ducks back type of situation. Other times it’s not so water or duck friendly. More like, I don’t know, a sloth in a puddle of mud? Yeah that needs some work but let’s roll with it. I’m real, and I’ve got issues like every other real
person. I get hurt. I get judged. I have multiple jobs. I’m full time at university. I run my blog healthy karma
while also contributing to Maxine's. I’m sleep deprived and some days I couldn’t think of anything worse than facing the world.
I went through somewhat of a ‘break up’ a while ago and it sucked. The sudden shift from being with someone all the time, meaning something to that someone – to nothing. Silent, lonely nothing. It’s hard and no other experience in life can really compare to that empty feeling. So basically, this protein french toast was the result of attempting to fill my day with lots of activities in order to keep, said break-up guy, off my mind. I wanted something that was delicious, and full of carbs because I DESERVED IT. Unfortunately, my nutritionist angel on my shoulder had other ideas ‘ummm don’t you think you should put some protein in this so it’s, you know, healthier?’ Nutritionist angel is always right.
The first time I made this, I let the bread soak for waaaaay to long and it turned into a mushy mess. Still delicious but a mess nonetheless. The second time I did it, perfect. The bread was soaked just enough to have the flavour though it, but still firm enough that I could actually pick it up. The protein powder adds sweetness and helps to make the meal a little more macronutrient balanced. Plus, who doesn’t love a little more protein? Gains for the booty I’m building, amiright? Ok, I’ll stop. If you’re getting over someone or trying to impress someone, I promise this protein french toast is a winner!
PROTEIN FRENCH TOAST
PREP TIME: 5M | COOK TIME: 10M | TOTAL TIME: 15M
SERVES: 2 PEOPLE
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond)
1 Scoop vanilla protein powder, I used Maxines Burn
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
2 slices of rye bread, depending how much liquid your bread soaks up
- Toppings: Banana, peanut butter, sugar free maple syrup, strawberries... basically anything that tastes good!
- Blend together the eggs, milk, protein and cinnamon until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and dip the bread into it, turning to coat both sides evenly. Don't soak it for too long as it will become soggy and difficult to pick up, but soak it long enough that the mixture has soaked in.
- Heat a non-stick fry pan over medium heat and spray lightly with coconut oil,
- Cook the bread slices for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Serve the French toast immediately, covered in your favourite toppings and enjoy!