The 2 Simple Steps To Change Your Eating Habits
To successfully lose weight, it is important to implement lifestyle changes such as increasing levels of physical activity and making healthier eating decisions. Most people find that breaking unhealthy eating habits can be difficult. This is often the reason for failing to stick to a long-term healthy diet. Broadly speaking, there are two approaches behind changing eating habits;
Changing the foods that you are eating
Changing the quantity of what you are eating
- Opt for smaller plates or pre-packages portion controlled foods to avoid overindulging in unhealthy foods
- Share full-sized meals when you eat out, and avoid super-sizing your meals.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well-hydrated throughout the day.
- Eat smaller and healthier snacks during the day so that you do not over-eat at meal times.
- Aim to gradually reduce your portion sizes over time, until you feel that you have reached the ideal portion size.
- Ensure that your diet is well-balanced and regularly introduce a variety of foods into your diet.
- Pre-plan your meals so that you choose healthier options and are able to prepare in advance with a pre-planned shopping list when you do groceries.
- Remove any temptations of bad foods from your home if you feel you are likely to give in to temptation.
- Take an interest in preparing and cooking your meals. This will help you learn more about what goes into your meals and healthier alternatives. You can improve your cooking skills by joining cooking classes, sharing recipes with family and friends and regularly looking into cookbooks and food magazines.
- Practise a change in your habits consciously for a couple of weeks until they eventually become unconscious decisions. This is essential to making a maintainable change.